Shard-less

It finally happened! The day I've been waiting for my entire life - or at least the last three weeks. It was mid-afternoon and I was in my office watching Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean on the portable DVD player that KC actually got for Christmas - which would also be the same one that she doesn't know I'm borrowing - eating my lunch which consisted of a soft taco supreme from Taco Bell and a cold Code Red, when I felt the urge to kick at the shard with my tongue.

Now I've spent the better part of the last three weeks working on wiggling the shard around little by little, getting it used to the idea that eventually I was expecting it to come out, when suddenly and quite painfully there came a snap, quickly followed by the taste of blood on my tongue. "Ow!" I yelled to no one in particular, as no one in particular yelled back. Inside my gum I could still feel the shard, but it was turned in a different direction and as I pressed my finger against my gum, I could feel it moving around my mouth like a marble.

I suppose I could have shut my mouth, taken a drink and swallowed thereby knocking the shard out from its hiding place but I wasn't about to let the shard go without seeing it for what it truly was. So I fished around for a moment, pushing it with my tongue, pressing against it with my finger until there it was, in my hand like a golden globe and I was in awe.

It was the smallest, tiniest little piece of bone shard I'd ever seen. Miniscule really. And had you asked me how long I thought it was, I would have told you it was a long thin bone the size of an inchworm. Instead it was shaped somewhat like a triangle with a serrated edge. Still it was a proud moment for me.

"Come and see THE SHARD!" I yelled to my co-workers. "I am in mouth heaven! Look, I can move my mouth! I can talk without pain!"

One collective groan from the office later, and the smarmy comment, "I suppose this means she's planning on catching up on all the talking she hasn't done in weeks," I had a small crowd gathered in my office to see THE SHARD.

But to say the least they weren't impressed, as one who hasn't been one with THE SHARD would feel. Forgiving them their ignorance, I quickly located a spare plastic baggy sealing THE SHARD in. While Brenda, being the good friend she is, emailed me to let me know that tomorrow when I come over, we will take a picture of THE SHARD with her digital camera and upload it to the blog.

I know, I know ... Waiting to see evidence of THE SHARD is going to be difficult. But rest assured my sweet, smart, wonderful friends pictures will be forthcoming!

2 comments:

Orbling said...

Hooray!!!

Bet you were never so glad to taste blood. ;)

Now all you have to do is find a big dark crystal to shove the shard into and you'll restore balance to the world.... hmm, might be muddling something up there...

Anyhow, ecstatic for you, and all who get to hear you more as a result. Looking forward to seeing the mean, evil boney thing soon.

Hope you and KC have a good New Year, now that you can enjoy it! :D

KC said...

Thank you. Thank you.

But as for THE SHARD, I'm keeping that far away from any crystals, dark ones to be exact. I remember watching that movie as a kid and being scared by the gaint sized, vulture-like puppets. In other words, no scarey puppet people for me thanks, I have enough nightmares on my own.

Hope your New Year starts off fabulously! As for me, Bren, Martin and I are going to celebrate with a night out.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs