Tic-Tac-Toes

Certain things in life I just can't do ... I can't parallel park without being 2 feet from the curb, I can't go to a Barnes and Nobles without buying something, and I just can't say no to anything cute and adorable ...

Which is why I should know better than to go anywhere near the Humane Society, not even when I'm just going with someone else to help them choose a pet. Because as fate would have it, I fell in love. Fell in love and couldn't fathom leaving without her, although I tried. I lasted about two hours before I called the center back and said, "I'm coming back for my cat. Don't let anyone else take her."

And it's funny how you can wake up in the morning, with absolutely no clue about where your day might take you, or the things you might do once you're there. But once you've made a decision, you just instinctively know it was the right thing to do and you can't imagine doing anything else.

So I went down, filled out the papers, paid the small fee and took my new baby home, a 6 week old black kitten with eyes so amazing, it takes looking twice to convince yourself you really saw their color, a mix of amber and slate blue, like a small flame igniting. I named her Octavia.

Octavia because the name just seemed to fit, both the season and the cat.

And with the Autumn leaves outside now vibrant with color, and the smell of fall lingering heavily in the air, October approaches, and I am intent on seeing it for it's beauty, rather than the silent death it brings to fragile flowers locked beneath the snow.

Hopping up and down with glee, KC was -as you might have guessed - overjoyed almost to the point of tears, as she heard a small meow coming from the back seat. And once we were home, it was more love at first sight, as child and kitten connected. Emma however, was none too pleased to see another cat in her territory. Downright hostile, I've spent most of the night keeping the two apart while trying to keep them together. But as it looks now, they'll have to stay separated for a bit while I'm at work, until they - they really meaning Emma - can learn how to play nice and co-exist in peace and harmony.

It should be interesting to say the least.

(Thanks for the comment Mom ... It's always nice to know someone cares ...)

3 comments:

L said...

Yea for kittens!

Hope Emma can share soon.

:)

Coyote Girl said...

I guess you've forgotten the story of Brat and Angus who never and I mean never learned to get along....

And I also guess, you are as foolish as your YM when it comes to taking home pets you don't need. I almost came home with a Jack Russell dog from the pound on Saturday - the crucial word here is almost.....

KC said...

I'd have to say that Emma is about as impressed with Octavia, as Brat ever was with Angus. And though Octavia is finding Emma pretty formidable, what with all her hissing, growlign and such, Octavia not too much of a slouch either, hissing right on back to the big cat. (Regardless of personal safety.)

Too bad I don't have your strangth of will when going to the pound ... Oh well, someone's got to be the sucker. (Not that I regret anything just yet.)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs