Birthday Blow Out

Still snuggled beneath a mountain load of blankets with her favorite stuffed animal by her side, my daughter is sleeping. Sleeping and dreaming of all the things she planned to do today. Her special day.

And even I was making special plans for today. Setting my alarm last night for five this morning to play Betty Crocker with a box of cake mix, a can of frosting and a bottle of sprinkles. Patiently paying close attention to the oven, watching the timer so that they'd be perfect. And thinking in my head what time I'd take my lunch today, in order to take cupcakes to KC's school so she could celebrate her ninth birthday with her friends.

But the Weatherman has done us in this morning. And across the bottom of the TV screen the name of her school flashes CLOSED. Knowing KC like I do, I'm expecting tears of disappointment this morning when I have to tell her that she won't be going to school today. And it's unfair, because the poor kid has been counting down for the last week and talking of nothing else.

I'm tempted to take her and the cupcakes into work with me for the day as the people I work with tend to spoil her whenever she is there. (Well, all except for Cheryl who hisses at anything under 5 feet tall ...) But she'd grow quickly bored and I'd probably go out of my head trying to entertain her all day in-between phone calls. I'm guessing I'm going to have to make an emergency "KC doesn't have school can you please watch her for the day?" call to Grandpa. And knowing my Dad like I do, I shouldn't even bother waking him up, but just take her down the road before going to work this morning.

My poor babe is going to be disappointed no matter what, so I guess there's no putting it off any longer. It's time to face the day.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Aw, poor birthday girl. What ended up happening..?

KC said...

My poor girl cried when I broke the news this morning, and sadly resigned herself to spending the day with Grandpa.

Grandpa however made her day and took her shopping where much to his chagrin, she managed to fleece him out of some serious cash disquised as birthday presents.

All in all, her day wasn't a total loss though we're hoping to try the cupcake run again tomorrow.

Orbling said...

So sorry to hear that. Weather is a hard task master. One day it'll bring her a sunny day just when she needs one for a picnic on green pastures with some beau.

For the moment though, a spendy day with Grandpa is probably good medicine. :)

Hope she had a good birthday, they mean so much at that age.

[It's funny. All through our childhood we can't wait for our birthdays to arrive, and for the rest of the life we do our damnedest to put them off. ;)]

KC said...

Beaus? Who said anything about letting her date anytime before she's 30?

Orbling said...

30? That young?

Modern parenting for you. ;)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs