Oxygen Deprived Snow Day

Today turned out to be the unofficial take your daughter to work day. Or as I'm more apt to call it, pick your daughter up as soon as possible from the sitters to save yourself some dinero day.

Yes, yes. KC's school was canceled once again due to arctic conditions and buses unable to start. But of course, they tried to pass it off as a delay, first for one hour, and then another, until finally they threw their hands up in the air and said, "Hell with it. Let's just close!" Decision making skills I would have agreed with had they come up with that idea prior to my having dropped the minor child off at the sitters and heading in to work.

So there I was at work, eyeballing the calculator and watching dollar signs with wings kiss me good-bye as they fluttered out and away from my wallet. And I thought to myself "Hmmmm," as I tapped my chin and said very thoughtfully, "What to do to correct this?"

The answer came to me like a dream, but all screaming aside, I ignored my "don't even think about it" self warnings as I dialed my bosses extension.

Now I can always tell when my boss is going to answer his phone, because he clears his throat right before he answers. And usually, when I'm not the one calling him, I imitate his throat clearing - cough for cough - until he finally yells down the hall for me to knock it off.

This time however there was no cough clearing and no answer. (Damn!) He left me little choice but to go find him in person. But find him I did, and yes he did say to KC coming in for the afternoon. And so she did, complete with portable DVD player and the promise to behave after a lengthy car ride conversation in which I instilled the thought of everything in her room disappearing if she didn't.

Needless to say, I'm happy to report that her behavior was phenomenal - I also admit to still being in a state of shock. Happy shock, but shock all the same.

(Post Break x lots ...)

What you all don't know is that KC and I just finished (2 or so hours ago) tonight's DDR Max session. (I am in pain.) And for those of you who are now wondering what it is I'm talking about, DDR Max is a dance game that disguises exercise as something fun to do. And since it's too damn cold to brave the elements outside and I've more than learned my lesson on my last never went to but paid for a year gym membership, this really is the perfect solution ... Minus someone else doing it that is and my own lack of high metabolism leading to the gorgeously svelte body that God - in his infinite wisdom - has chosen NOT to bless me with. (Have I mentioned I've yet to understand his bizarre sense of humor?)

Anyhoo, we did about an hour before I finally collapsed on the floor in the attempt to catch my breath and said, "No more ..." At which point KC broke out the steel toe shoes and started kicking me repeatedly while I was down. And I was like, "Back little Linda Blair in training!" as I desperately tried to shield my face from the blows.

Alright. Alright. So none of the above paragraph really happened, short of me collapsing on the floor and praying for mercy, the remote control and the blessed off button.

3 comments:

Orbling said...

"Now you know you're room? Well you won't if you don't behave..."I love DDR, great fun, I can't keep it up for long though. An hour would probably be deadly. You can get something like it with hand movements through lightbeams as well as the dance steps. Though that is actually fatal.

BTW, DDR at an arcade with people watching you is acutely embarrassing, even if you're doing well. Though the normal situation is the adult getting thrashed by their 9 year old... Which just results in sympathy from other adults.

KC said...

At the moment, I'm actually whomping KC when playing DDR, even though I'm not the most coordinated person in the world. KC however is improving day by day, so I figure it's only a matter of time before she sufficiently beats me at my own game ... As for the light beam game, we've got that too. Although I feel like a complete idiot doing that one, what with all the hand waving going on. Ugh.

Orbling said...

Yep, it's certainly more embarrassing than DDR, though not as embarrassing as samba maraccas (sp), that requires some serious wobbling about... :O

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs