Cold Toes

Can't seem to get warm tonight despite the heat being on, and my face half hidden by the soft gray turtleneck I'm wearing quite literally up to my eyeballs. I feel like Mask of Zoro, minus on horseback, cling clanging sword and the prerequisite male parts to make it so. Worse yet, my toes are numb and though I try never to talk about my toes, there it is.

Absolutely nothing to report today. Well other than the fact that I actually did a little work this morning, much to the chagrin of the administrative assistant, whose desk was in the direct line of a moving pile of clutter that went from my office to hers. Or as I decided to call it, Karma. She's been on my shit list for a few weeks now (various reasons) so I didn't feel an ounce bad while I was sneaking down the hall and into her office to do a drop and run. (Although it should be noted that running in heels hardly leads to doing much of anything in stealth.)

She however - and as I predicted - made short work of catching me in my own office with the intent on lecturing me on the evils of hoarding files for extended periods of time. Smiling sweetly - or as others have more commonly referred to it as my shit eating grin - I did what I always do when the situation calls for quick thinking. I sang.

Lucky for me, I was listening to my favorite song from WICKED when she came down to chew me out. And so as she gave me the hairy eyeball, I offered up the following lyrics ...


"No good deed goes unpunished. No act of charity goes unresented. No good deed goes unpunished. That's my new creed."

With nothing to do other than raise her eyebrows and give a weak hearted grin, the situation was easily diffused by Broadway. (Always my secret weapon of choice and one I learned from my Mother, who also knows the power of a good showtune in the workplace.) The momentum as well as the battle lost, she left on a high note ... And to think, I used to believe I was a mezzo soprano.

7 comments:

Reama said...

Stacey,
Every night, before I get in bed, or sit down to watch TV, or cuddle up to a book, or get comfortable in my house after work, I MUST shower. The reason is I can't get my body temp back up to normal without one. It's been a practice for me since I moved to this state and I'm fond of it.
I shower for 'clean' in the morning. I shower for 'warm' at night.
I'd recommend it!
-Reama

Orbling said...

I think I'm the only person in the world who actually cools themselves down before bed. Like to shiver before bed, so make sure I get goose-pimperly before sleep. Sitting around in winter with the window open in your boxers works a treat for this. Summer is hell however.

Song lyrics are always the greatest defence against attack, or for protecting people with troubles. Always a bonus to find people with good song libraries stored away in their heads for troubled times.

'No good deed goes unpunished.' - this is very true. I know it well.

Suggest you lay off the work for a week or so again, obviously ruffles her. ;)

KC said...

Reama ... I used to try the whole hot shower thing at night, but to be honest I was too lazy to want to get my hair wet and then have to deal with brushing the knots out. I tried the whole shower cap thing for a while but never managed to get past the sound of water hitting the plastic on my head. It was so loud it was interfering with my singing ... Well that and there were only so many "borrowed" shower caps I had from previous hotel stays. :)

Orbling ... There's nothing like a good shiver in bed. And the cold side of the pillow isn't so bad either.

I think you may be right about the whole working thing, so I promise to do as little of it as possible in the upcoming week.

KC said...

Chloe,

I am super jealous! I have yet to see WICKED live, but am hoping to sooner rather than later.

I really liked your "She's Not Good Enough For Him" post you wrote the other day. It brought back more than a few memories of being much like the woman you wrote about.

"Wait a minute. What am I saying? I take it all back...there's no reason for her to get to know him...If that happened, she just might see the person I see...and be swept away by it all. And she's not good enough for him. (Please God, I hope she wasn't paying attention.)"

This was my favorite paragraph you wrote by far ... There's so much in those few sentences that really struck home and twisted my heart strings ... It was however a good ouch.

Good post!

Orbling said...

Cold pillows, absolute essential - especially in summer.

If you can keep them dry, stuffing them in the freezer is a great plan in summer. Nice cool pillows to lie on. Yay.

KC said...

I'm going to take a guess that body size pillows wouldn't fit in the freezer all that well ...Maybe I'll just pop a few ice cubes out of the tray, put them in a plastic baggy and stick them inside the pillow case.

That is as soon as it's summer.

Orbling said...

Ooh, I love body-sized pillows, must get one.

Body-sized bodies are slightly preferrable perhaps, but they don't go in the freezer either, and are liable to be far too hot in summer, and freezing in winter.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs