Ugh and Other Known Facts

When it comes right down to it, you can't be happy go lucky all the time. Sometimes you've got to put on a brave face, square your shoulders, and pretend like you're in control, even if you happen to be spiraling out of it.

And out of control is a bad place, quite like being mired in quick sand with no thought to escape as you're gradually sinking down. Instead you just wallow there and wait, not bothering to look around for help, no desire to call out.

I always know things are starting to get ugly when I stop walking out to the mailbox. For some reason I'm a firm believer in if you ignore it, it will go away. That is until the bill collectors call.

But even then there's ways to get around them. You can leave your answering machine on all day, hoping that by saying the number only on the outgoing message and not your name, they might believe they've got the wrong number. And you can come home from work and sign onto the internet and leave it on all night until just before you go to bed, thereby alleviating the panic attack you have every time you hear the phone ring.

Avoidance however can only take you so far and sooner rather than later you know it's time to face the music and sing along with the choir. As for me, I'm wishing I had listened to the little voice inside my head that said, "Slow down Stace, you know this is going to land you in hot water." Because as usual, I was right.

And though I'm currently up to my elbows, I'm confident that the wading pool is somewhere close before me. Cause just as good as I am about getting myself in over my head, I have one hell of a mean doggie paddle to get myself out.

4 comments:

Amy S. Petrik said...

Hi friend. I am a bill collector. We know how to find you even if you shut off your answering machine. I could tell you all the tricks we do and we will still hunt you down and make you pay your bill. Sorry to make your day go even worse but this is my crappy job that I have been doing for two years Feb.10th. have a happier weekend ok? I still like you. inky

KC said...

Why is everyone in my life a bill collector?

Ahh, don't mind me, I'm just working with a 40 watt bulb ... Literally.

:)

Kind comments are always welcome, so my thanks to Karen. Inky, if you work for any of my creditors please put me on the witness protection plan. And Bren, get ready to get your ass on the treadmill, I'm calling.

(And I'm glad you love me in a non-lesbian way. Although I wouldn't recommend saying that to my lesbian sister, as she sometimes loses her sense of humor with me.)

Orbling said...

I'm a bill collector, I collect all my bills and put them in huge piles. Then sit, dazed, wondering how I manage to buy so much stuff without any real money.

Then I work out that half the pile are credit card bills.

KC said...

If only someone would buy our collection of bills, we'd be in the money ...

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs