Turning Blue

According to a national news blurb that just played on the TV, Christian conservatives are outraged by SpongeBob SquarePants. Evidently SBSP is the new antichrist, whose evil intent is to lead the children of America down a path of destruction and anarchy. Now I can only wonder how long it will be before the official protest starts ... I mean God forbid they just monitor their own children's television viewing and turn it off if they don't like it. Who wants to do that when you can stage a rally?

Count me out of the rally though. I happen to like SBSP, in moderation that is. There is however one certain episode that I don't let KC watch and when it comes on, the TV goes off. I call it my parents power of choice. I choose to know what my kid is watching and I have (on more than one occasion) made decisions for her. It's called parenting, with or without a bible.

If I seem a little bitter today, please take note of the fact that I live in a BLUE STATE. I didn't vote for "the man" and I more than retain my right to now bitch about him for the next (horribly long) four years. I shudder at the thought but there it is. So much for my voice having a say in the matter, half the country voted against the guy and he still considered it a mandate. Whatever.

In other news, I've been lazy tonight. I have emails to write and I meant to get right back to people but I kind of conked out after preparing dinner and getting KC settled in for the night. And believe it or not, I actually thought about missing a post but then my sister Jo (I still like her) instant messaged me wanting to know another term for a production line (assembly line) as she couldn't manage to get it off the tip of her tongue. So we chatted for a few, very briefly touching on a darker subject before moving on to far less irritating things.

Where was I? Oh yes, I wasn't going to post tonight. Well, I wasn't going to, but then after talking to Jo, I felt a rush of blood flowing to the brain and began to think of a few things. Mainly SBSP and the news blurb and then it was on from there.

It is however cold as hell. Although according to my sources, that's an oxymoron. It's currently 5 below zero and expected to get much colder as the night wears on. My house feels like an icebox and truth be told, I'm scared to turn the heat on much higher. Not that the furnace doesn't work, but winter heating bills have been quite scary as of late. So we're maintaining 70 and not jacking it up any higher. As I've been known to say on more than one occasion, that's why we've got blankets. And lots of them. Even the fish have blankets ... (That may or may not be true.)

I had an interesting thought today. And silly enough, I'm not going to mention it just yet. I need to get a few opinions from a few people and gauge the interest before I get myself carried away. (Don't worry Mom. It's all legal.) So if any of you get an email from me soon, with some crazy bizarre idea, all I can ask you to do is humor me and maybe say yes if you like the idea.

But seriously now, I'm as cold as a witch's tit in a brass bra. (That was rather crass of me, but in my neck of the woods, it's a popular saying and so I said it.) And since there is nothing else for me to do here, I'm going to mosey my way upstairs for a little R&R.

4 comments:

Orbling said...

8 paragraphs is rather good going for 'not going to post tonight'. ;)

It's amazing that people seem to have lost the power of turning off the TV, or changing channel. If something that offends, horrifies, or sickens someone comes on the telly, everyone seems to think it's compulsory viewing!

If you don't like it, switch it off! If you don't want your kids watching it, switch it off!

Glad, and totally unsurprised, to see you've managed to retain common sense and parenting skills. God help us if that's a minority position.

You should definitely retain your right to bitch about that chimp, the rest of the world had no say at all and reserves the same right. Actually, they don't really reserve it, they use it pretty much constantly.

Our TV's have been plastered with the inaugeration all evening, so annoying.

Hope you're getting warm.

KC said...

Just a quick stop in to say that the right wing conspiracy has now included SBSP and his friend Patrick the Starfish as endorsers of the homosexual lifestyle ...

Is it me, or do these people need to find something better to do with all their spare time?

Puh-lease ... He's animated.

Orbling said...

Endorsers of the homosexual lifestyle??

Think they could do with giving up their spare time, and perhaps the rest of there time and letting sensible people handle living in the real world.

Don't quite get the right wing obsession with homosexuals. Can't quite see how it causes a problem for them.

KC said...

Evidently they have a hrd time changing a channel or not viewing something they'd rather not watch ... Or maybe they're all just not as comfortable in their sexuality as they should be. Who knows? I'd rather make a stand for something that actually has some relevence behind it.

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs