I Remember MTV

Did you know that if you wake up early enough (or stay up late enough) you can actually see music videos on VH1? I know it sounds simply archaic! I mean who actually remembers that the VH of VH1 once meant Video Hits and the M in MTV was for Music? I think it's safe to say that M now stands for Mindless and VH - this one is quite a bit harder - really means Videos Have been replaced by anything reality based. Strange Love? Come on now ...

And is it just me, or is anyone else happy to see that Vince Neil has made a comeback? Sure, he's not as pretty as he once was when Motley Crue was in full swing, but I just saw his remake show the other day, and despite the fact that they dyed his hair some odd shade of brown, he's looking quite well for a guy his age, sans really tight spandex of course. Red, White & Crue baby!

Listen to me though, I'm watching the Mr. Brightside video by The Killers off the album Hot Fuss, and I can't decide if I actually like the song or am biased because I find the lead singer incredibly attractive with his puppy dog eyes and lack of an upper lip. And isn't that Julia's older brother Eric Roberts in the video? Any video with him in it gets my vote, as I find him oddly appealing.

But seriously, I never was a big Crue fan. Back in high school I was all about extolling my anger on the world with Pink Floyd blaring out of my bedroom. Welcome to the Machine was so my song. To this day it still reminds me of a man named Corky who attempted to date my Mother and got a healthy dose of teenage angst leveled against him. Though truth be told, I believe I won that battle ... He was never heard from again and I'm sure my Mother wasn't too devastated by the whole affair until the Nymo bill came. Which reminds me, I heard a cover of Another Brick the other day and it was absolute shit. And like my friend Mike said the other day when this came up in conversation, newer bands shouldn't even attempt covers of classics, as they always end badly.

Honestly though the absolute truth of the matter is when it comes to music, I can listen to just about anything at anytime. Hell I was a music nerd in high school. I sat second chair, first row flute. I played the piano ... Somewhat badly. I could/can play Stairway to Heaven on the guitar. I hung out with the drummers and held the symbols while walking backwards for Jon S. in a Memorial Day Parade. I hung out in the practice rooms during lunch. I was in the drama club. I sang in chorus. I also sang in jazz ensemble and girls ensemble and once sang in a Price Chopper for Christmas. I went to NYSMA competitions. I didn't need to plug my ears while singing to see if I was in tune or not ... Cough, cough Dawn S. I had solos. I sang in front of the school and wasn't embarrassed.

And last but not least, I was and I shouldn't be admitting this, the drum major of the marching band my Senior year. And though they couldn't see me (5'0" tall) there was no doubt they could hear me and my whistle. How I managed to retain my coolness still escapes me ...

7 comments:

KC said...

That's right ... Remove the repeated post before I yell at you about pressing the button more than once.

As for our lack of manners, guilty as charged. Even though I can't remember what it was we were pissed about. I do however recall that she accused me - an accusation which riled my temper and landed me in the VP's office, mind you - of plagiarizing my research paper on Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky (1839 -1881) ... And as you will recall, he was one of the great Russian five composers. (Although I think Rimsky-Korsakov's name was more fun to say repeatedly ...)

Never mind, I think I just remembered why I disliked her.

KC said...

That henious bitch! I completely forgot about that ... Although why did we miss band comp? That doesn't sound like us ... Or does it?

Despite all this, I still have fond memories of Music Theory class. As in SBBAAA (pronounced Sba (like spa with a "b") baa (and baa like a sheep)otherwise known as Stacey, Brenda and Brian Against Amy's Attitude! And that stupid king kong size bow she used to wear in her hair and the way she broke me and that kid ... Um I think his name was Tom, up and ruined my life forever, or for at least a month or two! She deserved all the spit wads we used to shoot in her hair!

And who could forget "floodwater" and standing on our chairs ... I mean tightrolling your jeans was so over even back then!

I am however still jealous that I was never an official member of the teepee day club. How dare you and Brian leave me out and flaunt your Drops of Honey in my face ...

That sounds kind of lesbian-ish so let me clarify ... Drops of Honey was a lipstick.

Coyote Girl said...

Hey - how come no one is commenting on the photo gallery? Are you trying to snare someone or are you just taking a walk down memory land? I still think you're beautiful... (you too Bren)

KC said...

Thanks Mom ... Your five dollars is in the mail.

(And no ... I'm not trying to "snare" anyone's attention ... These are band geek photos for goodness sake!)

It is however an interesting jaunt down memory lane.

Reama said...

In my highschool, the football team and the band were IT. (IT as in the shit.) I'm from Texas and our football team went to State, Division II, UNDEFEATED 15-0!!! WOOT WOOT! But here's my point.
Our band was HUGE. At about 300 members, we were amazing! We won so many nation championships it still spins my head. If you were on the football team you were way cool. If you were in the band, you were way cool... and if you were a Drum Major, you might as well be captain of the football team!

KC said...

Our band was nowhere near that size. Try about 200 less to be exact with mild fluctuations here and there.

Unfortunately almost eveyone in the band hated the marching part. Personally I think it was because they all had two left feet, but for the most part it was really because we hated anything that drew our attention away from our concert music and NYSMA competitions. And our formations were bland, boring and sucked because the conductor just didn't give a shit to make them any better. I think she thought it a big waste of time so she didn't really try all that hard to make anyone like it.

And truth be told, the only reason I wanted to be drum major, was so that I could get away with bossing everyone around and blowing on the whistle ... But if you don't tell anyone, I won't either ...

Thanks for the comment!

Orbling said...

Ah, music videos, KaZaa has delivered many memories to me over the years of these things. Another Brick's video was excellent.

Music Nerds have got to be the best type of nerds. ;)

 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs